1 Whole Rainbow Trout
4 cups of water
1/3 cup Kosher Salt
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Coconut Aminos or Soy Sauce (optional)
2 ea Bay Leaves (optional)
3-4 cups All Natural Hickory Wood Chips
Day One (Brining the fish)
- Place Trout in a container that is just slightly larger.
- In a separate bowl combine water, salt, brown sugar, coconut aminos/soy sauce, and bay leaves. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve and then pour over the fish. Cover with a lid or saran wrap and place in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours.
- Remove fish from the brine and pat dry. Place fish on a lined rack and put back into the refrigerator uncovered for another 12 hours.
Day Two (Smoking)
Before starting, we highly recommend that all windows be opened to help eliminate the smoke smell that gives off once the chips are smoking.
- Place oven rack at the very bottom of the oven and then set the temperature to 250°F.
- In a small skillet, toast your wood chips over the burner until it starts to smolder.
- Remove the rack (with the fish still resting on top) leaving the liner tray exposed. Wipe any extra liquid that's inside the tray and pour the smoldering wood chips onto the tray. Place the fish with the rack back onto the liner and seal everything tight with aluminum foil.
- Smoke the fish in the oven for 1.5 to 2 hours. After 2 hours, bring the temperature up to 500°F and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the fish is done.
- Serve right away or refrigerate to enjoy it chilled.