1 lb Saltspring Island Mussels, debearded
¼ cup of Santa Monica Seafood Ultimate Stock
2 Tbsp. garlic cloves, sliced
2 Tbsp. shallots, sliced
8 ¼ cups of water
½ loaf of ciabatta bread
1 cup of dry white wine
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp parsley or basil, freshly chopped
salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fill a bowl with 1 quart of cold water and add 4 cups of ice and 2 tablespoons of salt. Stir and soak the Mussels in the ice bath for about 10 minutes to purge any impurities and then drain.
- In a small pot over medium heat add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil followed by sliced garlic and shallots, seasoned with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Stir until garlic and shallots lightly sweat and then add Mussels. Stir for about 1 minute.
- Add wine and cover until it comes to a boil.
- Add SMS Ultimate Stock and ¼ cup of water to the pot. Cover and boil for an additional 5 minutes.
- Plate Mussels in a bowl and garnish with freshly chopped herbs, a slice of ciabatta bread, and finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. (Try adding chorizo or finishing it with chili oil rather than olive oil for a more flavorful dish!)