Recipe makes 10 stuffed squids
10 Squid Tubes and Tentacles; cleaned
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic; finely minced
1/2 cup onion; finely chopped
1/2 cup mushroom; finely chopped
1 cup spinach; roughly chopped
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp. water
2 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese; grated
3 cups of Santa Monica Seafood Cioppino Base
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley; finely chopped
salt and pepper
Preparing the Mushroom and Rice Stuffing
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add garlic, onion, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms are soft. About 3 minutes.
- Add about 2-3 tablespoons of water to the pan along with spinach and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add cooked rice and Parmesan cheese. Lightly mix and set aside.
Stuffing the Squid Tubes
- Stuff each squid tubes with the mushroom and rice mixture.
- Finish each stuffed squid by attaching the tentacles to the tube with a toothpick.
- Score about 2 to 3 slits on each stuffed squid.
Cooking the Stuffed Squid
- In a large non-stick skillet on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and then place stuffed squid with slit side up. Cover and let it cook for about 3-4 minutes until the squid is almost fully cooked.
- Remove squid from the pan and gently remove the toothpicks.
- Add cioppino base in the same skillet used to the cook squid and then add your stuffed squids back in. Cover and let it come to a simmer for about 5-7 minutes. Turn off heat, garnish with chopped parsley and serve while hot.